Sidenote: Some people think that there was just one hip-hop auction and it happened at Sotheby’s in 2020. And that’s it. There are no other artifacts of hip-hop that have been deemed auction-worthy. That’s a falsehood that this publication works to correct by directing you to interesting lots from contemporary music, because music collecting is not just about buying a strand of Paul McCartney’s hair for £399 ($690.65 CAD) from Paul Fraser collectables.
I can’t stop thinking about the Bel Biv DeVoveralls because:
- These are stage-warn overalls.
- The graffiti says “mental” and then it has a picture of an institution, so it’s kind of like a fun little puzzle to figure out the key phrase.
- Imagine these framed in your foyer.
These are Lot #67098 at the Design Signature Auction, which closes July 15, 2021. Visit Heritage Auctions for details and to place a bid. The current bid (as of July 11, 2021 at 9 p.m. EDT): $500 USD.
A few details:
- Estimate: $1,000 – $1,500.
- Condition Report: In original condition, presents well.
“Presents well”, it says on the official condition report. Where would you present these? Leave a comment and let me know.